Saturday 20 September 2014

Classic BPD thoughts...Part 1

These are thoughts that I personally deal with and are typical of a lot of people with BPD and other mental illnesses for that matter.


  • 'Don't cry here, you can self harm later...' - Self harm is my safety blanket when I'm in a situation that I can't show my true feelings.
  • 'If I get too close, they'll just leave me' - This is the classic fear of abandonment that comes hand in hand with BPD.
  • 'Shut up Becky, you sound clingy' - I try to excuse or explain why I may have called someone tonnes of times, but the truth is I'm worried and I think they'll think I'm clingy.
  • 'If they don't call you back, they obviously don't like you' - Any other reason can seem invalid
  • 'Just be honest about how you feel...but then won't I seem attention seeking?'
  • 'Your so stupid, why can't you just be happy?! Nothing is wrong!'
  • 'Who am I? How do people see me?' - Lack of Identity is common and not having a sense of who you are can really make you question everything.
  • 'Oh no my scars are healing, I'll have to self harm again.' - Once the cuts heal it feels like I should have healed inside as well, but often I haven't and cutting again is my way of showing how much emotional pain I still feel.
These are just a few of the overwhelming thoughts people with a mental illness can experience. In other blog posts I'll give some advice on how to overcome these thoughts and deal with them.


Hope everyone is keeping well.
Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment