Thursday 16 October 2014

Friendships and mental illness - The break downs and the ever lasting.




Friendships come and go in life and a loss of friendship is something that happens to everyone. But for people with Borderline personality disorder it can seem so personal and a lot more painful. Many people with BPD, actually most mental illnesses say that they have lost friends from their illness.

Loosing a friend because of your BPD

Personally I have lost 4 friends directly from my mental illness, and I know this, because they said. I may have lost more but it was probably sugar coated with less painful excuses. Things like this were said:

  •  'Maybe you shouldn't talk to me about your issues anymore...'
  • 'I'm not strong enough to handle your problems'
  • 'Your attention seeking' 
Some of these were said over 6 years ago, and y'know what? Its still a painful thought. Each and every time someone left me because of my illness it fed into the cycle of me feeling 'not good enough' and then created the fear of abandonment within other relationships. At times I felt that self harm was my only friend, and that I couldn't truly trust anyone. 

So if your thinking of leaving someone with an illness, any illness, please reconsider. How would you feel if the tables were turned? Wouldn't you want them there for you? When they recovery, and over time you will create a friendship that is SO strong that you'll never want to give up on them. 

I think its fair to say that having a mental illness will either make or break a friendship, and it is a true test of how strong your bond is. If you think about it now, how many of your current friends do you think would stand by you? 

The silver lining?
Its heartbreaking and incredibly painful when you lose someone because of something that you can't help. But there is a silver lining...they aren't worthy of your friendship and your'e better off with out them. If you can honestly say you would be there for them but they aren't doing the same, well its time to realise that the friendship isn't right for you. 

Another silver lining is that in these times you really do find out who can you trust. I had one best friend who has been with me through my journey with BPD from day 1. She has never left, never doubted that I wouldn't get better, and she knows I would do the same for her. Our friendship is closer than some of the bonds I have with my family members because I trust that she will be there for me unconditionally. 

Now I'm also able to tell who I feel is emotionally mature to help with my illness and support me when needed. I'm happy to say that I have a handful of friends that I know will help me through the bad days with my BPD. 



How to support a friend with a mental illness.

  • Urge them to seek medical advice
  • Don't be scared to raise the issue with them, talk about it! 
  • If they have been diagnosed, research what the illness is and how you can support them.
  • Just sit with them on a bad day.
  • Send them texts so they know you care.
  • Offer support with doctors appointments. 
  • If you've been through a mental illness, discuss this with them, so they you understand

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.Keep sharing such useful informations.So informative blog, thanks for providing valuable information, I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    bipolar 1 icd 10

    ReplyDelete